Tuesday 18 May 2010

Intensive periods and rest periods

Intensive

The last weeks have been pretty intensive for me and I did a 30 km run to finalize it. Last week was a soft week with just two training sessions, one 12 km running and one 53 km on the bike. This week will also be a calm one and that is because I start to feel some pain in my left knee.

The importance of rest!

I quote:

When we are training for an endurance event (marathon, half marathon, ultra marathon) we often think the main thing we need to do for training is RUN. After all, it makes sense. We're going to be running for a very long time so we should probably focus mainly on running for our training. We often believe that more is more; the more we run, the more prepared we will be for our races.
While we definitely need to run to prepare for our races, rest is as essential a component in our training as running is. In fact, our rest days may be the most important training days in our week. Experienced runners can get away with less rest because they don't damage their muscles as much when they are running. In fact, Paula Radcliffe (world record holder, Women's Marathon), takes one full rest day every ten days. When you consider that she has a personal massage therapist, Physical Therapist, and has to focus solely on her running, it shows you how important rest is even to elite athletes.


It’s ok!
I just love to train but it’s hard for me to say to myself, it’s Ok to rest. I think many of you have the same problem but just remember, if you get hurt you will end up with a long period of physical therapy instead.

Train hard but train smart!

//Pontus

No comments:

Post a Comment