Tuesday 11 May 2010

crazy run in toe-shoes

Wow, I just did my first run in toe-shoes (5,5k on 30 minutes)...

Toe-shoes you wonder, well I have been reading up on shoes and the facts behind different shoes. Or rather the lack of facts to support anything other then barefoot is probably the best way to run (as evolution has provided us with the tools).

And since toe-shoes are basically soles and nothing more they also have a side-effect of being very light, and they don't carry any water at all. In short the perfect shoe for the race.

Well, I will keep you posted on my toe-shoe adventure! (I'm not ready to toss my old shoes away just yet).

Here is a good article if you are interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

//jonas

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jonas,

    am debating whether to go down the toed and as near to barefoot as possible route myself. How are you finding it? There do seem to be definate advantages.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ian,

    I am very pleasantly surprised! I was very skeptical myself in the beginning, but now I run without pain and strain for at least 20K.

    The major change is the way that you plant the foot to the ground and the length and pace of the stride. Presumably the barefoot-stride uses less energy and allows the body to handle the (actual) stress of running.

    I can easily recommend it to anybody with an open mind.

    (a small disclaimer: It won't fix lack of training, laziness, or remember to buy flowers to your wife on your wedding day!!!)

    btw: sorry for the long delay in my reply and good luck!

    //jonas

    ReplyDelete