Sunday 8 August 2010

I´m starting to feel the nerves…

Yes, that´s right I’m starting to feel the nerves for the race! I am so focused on it that failure is NOT an option! It’s less than a month until we are at the starting line and my head is full of questions:

* Have we trained enough?
* Have we done right type of training?
* Have we chosen the right equipment?
* Have we got the mental strength?
* And so on…

Under 12 hours?
I just had a chat with Jonas and he told me that he got a crick (ryggskott)! Well, I know he got what its take to do a competition like this so I’m not worried about that. We talked about the running and swimming pace and the conclusion is if we keep a 6 min/km tempo on the running and 30 min/km on swimming we will have 1 hour for swap between running and swimming and energy refilling. If we are able to keep this we will do the race in about 12 hours.

Long or short sleeves?
We were also talking about the length on the wetsuit because it’s damn hot to run in it with long arms and legs. When I’m been training with the wetsuit on I have seen that it really affect my running negative, i.e. if I runt in tights and a linen I can keep 5 min/km without any problems but when I put the wetsuit on it drops to 5:40-6 min/km. At the same time, if the water temperature is below 12 degrees I will freeze if I go for the short arms and legs sleeves.

The nerves…
The more I am thinking about the race the more I can feel the nerves :-). I am just an ordinary man with a family and I am comparing my own training with the elite. The last 224 days (2010) I have approximately 7300 minutes of training divided on 112 days that’s 50%. Will this be enough? How much time do you put on training for the Ö till Ö?

//Pontus

4 comments:

  1. Ah bad. Hope Jonas will be good! I Think you have enough training. It´s all about the mind...

    //Anders

    ReplyDelete
  2. The running pace of 6 min/km is unrealistic, unless you are playing in the same league as mr Colting and co. Almost.

    We calculated with the same times as you last year, but the running trails are often so much worse than you think! We did 4.20 min/km over 10 km in running gear, easy 5.30 min/km in wetsuits when training on forest tracks, but the terrain is a bitch in this race! :-)

    We completed in 12.19 including bikes on Ornö 2009. This year, you guys have it much harder due to the extra running.

    I don´t know your physical status, but take last years results and times, add one hour (at least) for the extra running instead of cycling on Ornö, and see were 12 h would take you. Pretty high up, huh?

    I think we did about 7-7.30 min/km in average.

    But to remember, we had also a target for 6 min/km, but after the first hell-like swim we dropped all expectations, and focused on surviving.

    Good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Mattias/Daniel that really increased the spirit ;-) ... just kidding! I was reading yor blog last year and congratulation to your performance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sorry, it's Matt writing.

    Didn't mean to break your confidence. More like some input to your plan so you won't be disapointed IF you find yourself going slower. If you finish, be proud, regardless of time!

    But I really wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete